I posted recently about using baking soda for a face wash, and realized that I have not written about the gazillion uses for baking soda. My bad. So here goes-- my list of 40 ways to use baking soda!
1. Eliminate garbage can odors by sprinkling some in the bottom of the can before adding a garbage bag.
2. Clean silver by mixing 3 parts baking soda to one part water. Rub paste on gently, rinse well and pat dry.
3. Sprinkle some on scuff marks and oil spills on the floor. Wipe with warm damp cloth.
4. Sprinkle some baking soda in the bottom of pans with burned foods. Fill with warm water and soak overnight.
5. Clean hairbrushes and combs with a solution of Baking Soda and water.
6.Clogged Drains? Pour 1/4 cup baking soda down drains 1x weekly and rinse thoroughly with warm water.
7. Love this for dirty stinky carpets: Sprinkle on and let sit for about 25 minutes. Vacuum.
8. Sprinkle in litter boxes to neutralize odors.
9. Clean toys with a solution of 1/4 cup baking soda to 1 quart warm water. Soak toys, rinse with warm water.
10. After cleaning a spill on carpet, sprinkle some where the spill was to soak up any residual and remove odors.
11.Clean wet pet fur by sprinkling some on their fur and brushing out--eliminates those yucky musty smells.
12. Use 1/2 detergent with 1/2 baking soda in laundry for clean, fresh-smelling clothes.
13. Pre-treat stains on clothes with a paste of baking soda and water.
14. Use as a bathtub cleanser for soap scum. Mix one part soda with three parts vinegar to make a cleanser.
15. Use baking soda as a toothpaste and to whiten teeth.
16. Mix a paste of soda and water and apply to bee stings to calm and ease pain.
17. Use 1/2 tsp. baking soda with 3 eggs to make a lighter omelet.
18. Love beans? Hate gas? Add a pinch of baking soda when making the beans to eliminate the gas effects!
19. 1/4 cup baking soda and 2 cups warm water make a great clarifying shampoo.
20. Some baking soda on a wet sponge will help remove crayon marks from a chalkboard.
21. Make a general use cleaning spray by mixing 4 Tbs. baking soda to 1 qt. water in a spray bottle.
22. Soak shower curtains in a mix of baking soda and water to get rid of mildew.
23. Clean corroded battery terminals with baking soda and water.
24. Make clay for playing: 1 1/4 cup water, 2 cups baking soda, 1 cup cornstarch.
25.Toothpaste mixed with baking soda can fill small nail holes. Be sure to let dry completely.
26. Mix baking soda and water for an antacid.
27.Make a paste out of baking soda and water to fight pimples--cover the pimple with the paste overnight.
28.Put a box in your freezer and another in your refrigerator to keep odors at bay.
29. Make a paste of baking soda and water to clean kitchen sinks.
30. Dust some under arms for a quick effective deodorant.
31. Soak your tired feet in a basin of warm water with 3 tablespoons of baking soda added to it.
32. Scrub your callouses with a paste of baking soda and water (after soaking your feet first)
33. Add 1/2 cup baking soda to your next bath to smooth and soften skin.
34. Make a hand soap to cleanse hands with 3 parts baking soda to 1 part water.
35. Add a quarter size amount of baking soda with some shampoo in your palm--removes residue in hair.
36. Sprinkle baking soda over dirty disposable diapers in the diaper pail to eliminate odors.
37. Soak baby bottles overnight in a solution of 4 Tbs. baking soda and 1quart warm water. Rinse and clean as usual.
38. Add 1/2 cup baking soda to the rinse cycle for soft fresh towels and sheets. Works best in cold water, I find.
39. Clean recyclable containers with a damp sponge sprinkled with baking soda.
40. Sprinkle soda in tennis shoes, socks, boots and slippers to eliminate odor.
What are your favorite uses for baking soda? I know I have missed many, care to share your best tips?