Skip to main content

A Saving Money Grocery Store Game


I play a little game sometimes when I am shopping at the grocery store. I do not instantly save a lot of money, but if I play it enough times, the savings does add up.

It's simple really. List in hand I will go shopping for our groceries, but inevitably I will pick up things that are not on my list. So before I head to the check out line, I check out my cart and figure out a couple of things I can do without or do not really need at all. I put those items back, and make a mental note to add up what I would have spent on those particular items.

When I get home, I take the amount I saved by not purchasing those items and immediately put it away in an envelope I have just for that savings game alone. Even if I save $5.00 on each shopping trip, it adds up. Some shopping trips I can save more if I really think about what I'm buying. If I can think of something I already have at home as a substitute for something in my cart, then that something goes back to the shelf, and the money will go into my savings envelope.

The key to this savings game is to actually put the money you saved into a savings place, like my envelope. If you just save money at the grocery store, but then go to Starbucks on the way home, you are not saving that money. An extra benefit of actually putting saved money in an envelope is that as you start to see the savings grow, the more motivated you will be to continue saving.

Try this Saving Money Grocery Store Game. You will be surprised at how much you can actually save.

Comments

Lyla said…
Great idea! I should send my kids to the car before I check out and then put back everything they chose - haha!!

Lyla
http://www.chattychica.com
http://www.five-oclock-somewhere.com
Mindy said…
What a great idea! I can't seem to stop buying extras cold turkey-this sounds like a good option
krimass said…
That sounds like a great idea, I need to start setting aside money in an envelope, too!
Carrie
Anything I Think About
Surgical Nurse Musings
Time Keeps on Flying
MommyKoz said…
I need to try this. I am the worst at grocery shopping. I go out for $20 worth of items and come home having spent $100.

Making the money saved a tangible thing is a super idea!!

Popular posts from this blog

How To Make Some Extra Money From Home

Need to make some extra money so you can save some money? Or if you need some extra income to help with living expenses, try some freelance writing on the weekends.

Here are some sites to check out that will pay for articles submitted. Read each site's terms and conditions to make sure you are comfortable with how and when they pay, rights to articles you write, etc.

1. AssociatedContent.com
2. Sheknows.com
3. Suite101.com
4. Examiner,com
5. Internet Brands
6. Demand Studios.com
7. JustAnswer.com
8. Helium.com
9. Mahalo.com
10.wisegeek.com

How to Save $10,000 This Year

I first posted this last Jan. (2011)- thought it was worthwhile posting again this year! Also, I mistakenly entered $24.40 in the original post as the amount to save each day-the correct amount is $27.40. 




Yes, you can save (or make--depending on how you look at it!) $10,000 by the end of this year, and it is really pretty easy.

Save $27.40 each day, and after 365 days, you will have saved $10,001 dollars.

Of course, since we are now about 14 days in to Jan., you will need to adjust that savings a bit- but still, you get the gist, right?

And if you save $10 a day, you can still have $3,650.

How about $5 a day? That will give you a nice savings of $1,825.

How to save money each day? Here are a few ideas:


Skip Starbucks--make your own coffee
Skip the take-out lunch--make peanut butter and jelly snadwiches
Make spaghetti 2 times a week--skip the meat
Buy a water filter and drink tap water--skip the bottled waters
Put back one item from your grocery cart each time you shop--and save the co…

Things To Do With Empty Cans of Soup

All of these ideas start with a clean empty soup can with no jagged edges. For some you may want to peel off the labels, others you might just leave the labels on!



1.. Having a picnic? Use empty Campbells soup cans as utensil holders for plastic forks and spoons on the picnic tables. (leave labels on ..adds a colorful unique touch!)

2.. Make a Halloween Decoration. Cover a soup can in black construction paper or fabric. Add some cut out eyes. For wings, color a paper plate black, Cut the plate in half. For each half, cut scalloped edges along one side, then glue "wings" to the side of the "bat can."

And a few more easy ways to recycle empty soup cans:

3. Use a nail and hammer to poke hole sin the bottom of sop cans and use as herb planters. Place a plastic lid under can to prevent rust stains.
4. Make Candlesticks (great tutorial from "Me Making Do")
5. Make a Flower-Shaped Cookie Cutter.
6. Make a Hanukkah Gift out of a soup can.
7. Make a Christmas Lum…