Plan some quality family time this weekend that will save you money as well as delight the kids. Instead of shopping at the mall, eating out at restaurants and going to the movie theater, try some of these 12 cheap ideas for a fun filled family weekend.
1. Friday night, plan a kids menu dinner just like at the restaurants! Make a menu with two or three choices kids love such as: English Muffin Pizzas (pizza sauce, cheese and muffins!), PB&J sandwiches, and macaroni and cheese. Let the kids "order" their food, and while their selections are being made, give them some crayons and paper.
2. After dinner play some games like Simon Says or charades.
3. Bake cookies for Saturday.
4. Go fly a kite! (you can make kites on Friday night for an after-dinner activity,) or just hang out at the park. Bring inexpensive snacks like pretzels, apple slices, raisins, and fill bottles with water to bring as well.
5. Visit your local library and get books and movies.
6. Make another fun dinner that is kid-friendly such as hot dogs (turkey dogs or veggie dogs) with orange slices. Remember those cookies you made Friday night? Enjoy them after dinner on Saturday.
7. Pop some pop corn and watch the movies from the library.
8. Make a surprise breakfast in bed for the kids Sunday morning then enjoy a little quiet time alone while they eat.
9. Read the library books you checked out while everyone is still in their p.j's. Plan a play from one of the books (or more if you are energetic!) and have the kids plan props, costumes, etc.
10. Take a long walk.
11. Indulge in bubble baths.
12. Have a formal sit down dinner with candles, good plates and glasses. The meal can be simple like spaghetti, it's the atmosphere that will make it special. Share your favorite part(s) of the weekend you all just spent together while you eat.